Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Farewell Summer...



Today we did our annual end of summer trip to Oak Glen, nestled up in the mountains, to pick raspberries. It's tradition, it has to be done. We have been doing it for years and every year about 20 minutes in I think, "Hmmm, kinda hot why am I doing this?". Because it's a process Debbie. But it is a hot process and very time consuming. The end result will be so worth it and the kids enjoy the first 10 minutes, so its all good! So $64 dollars and some sack lunches we had a blast and the jam will be to die for-- so good you can eat it with a spoon right in the station after your Sgt. hands it to you (hee, hee...yes it happened).





There were berries galore! Berries for days and they were so yummmmy. One for my mouth, one for the bucket, one for my mouth, one for the bucket. Took my first hay ride ever from the little store to the raspberry patch.



As you can see I tend to get a bit involved and like to sit down as I'm frying in the sun doing manual labor. It just seemed more enjoyable to sit on the ground and pick from there. You can see the berries that hide under the leaves so much better when you are looking up at them.

It is taking all my willpower right now not to go in the kitchen and start making jam. But Im tired and have been trying to ready myself for when the kids go back to school next Monday. I have decided one dinner is done and the kitchen is cleaned up I should allow myself to rest between 8 and whenever I go to bed. I'm aiming for 10:30 but we all know how that goes. My body does its best work between 8 and 12 so I am trying to recondition myself.

Best thing to do after picking berries for a couple hours? Cool off in a sprinkler of course! This is what summer is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment