Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Christmas Block Swap


I, being the type of person who likes to throw myself into stressful situations signed up for a Christmas quilt block swap on my favorite chicken site, Backyard Chickens. Most of the women are doing detailed embellished applique blocks. I quickly realized after I signed up I was playing with the big dogs! These women do amazing work. I have only appliqued a few things in my life so instead of sending them a pathetic applique block I opted for a regular stocking block.

The next problem was it was a 7.5 inch block. I have never made a 7.5 inch block and none of the patterns I found that I could do were for 7.5 inch blocks. Aggghhhhh!!! Can you say way over my head? Calm down Debbie, use your brain and get yourself together.

A few days ago I remembered reading a post by Angie at Home Grown where she designed her own block with graph paper. Heeeey, I can do that. I expected to have to make some small changes but I knew I could do it.


The only change I had to make was to trim a 1/4 inch off the top off the stocking.




Considering the panic I had over this I am quite happy with the result.

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty!!

    I'm envious of your quilting ability. I took a quilting class and quickly realized I am not cut out for quilting; I'll stick with embroidery and admire other people's quilting!!

    Glenda

    ReplyDelete